Bruxism is a condition which affects your oral health and is caused by uncontrollable grinding of your teeth. Over time, grinding your teeth can cause a variety of issues, including jaw disorders like TMJ, or sleep disorders like sleep apnea and loud snoring. Bruxism often goes untreated because it usually only presents itself while sleeping. Bruxism is hard to spot, so here are some signs to look for:
– You unconsciously grind, clench, and gnash your teeth, which can wear down smiles over time, resulting in a noticeable, flat look to your teeth.
– If you have teeth that appear to be damaged but you have no idea where from, bruxism may be the cause.
– You may have bruxism if you have jaw or face pain, sensitive teeth, dull headaches in your temple area, and damage to the inside of your cheek due to chewing.
– Sleep disorders including snoring and sleep apnea are often seen in individuals with bruxism.
– If you are an adult with severe stress, you may be at an increased risk for bruxism.
Treatment options for individuals with bruxism include custom night guards, muscle relaxant medications, meditative workouts and exercises, and other stress relievers. If you would like Dr. Daniel Merrill or Dr. Stephanie Merrill at Merrill Dental to check out your smile for signs of bruxism, please contact our dental office in West Chester, Ohio, at 513-779-7711. We look forward to helping you maintain your healthy, confident smile!