A cavity in your tooth is formed when your tooth enamel is worn down so much that a hole in your tooth forms. As bacteria begin to pile up in your mouth, it forms a sticky layer called plaque, which needs to be removed via saliva or an oral health care method such as brushing or flossing. If left unchecked, the bacteria in plaque can break down simple sugars into harmful acids capable of eating tooth enamel, thus causing cavities to form.
To protect your smile and improve your oral health, consider these cavity-prevention tips:
– Maintain consistent oral health care habits that include brushing your teeth and gums twice daily and flossing your teeth at least once daily with ADA or dentist-approved cleaning tools.
– Avoid foods and snacks that can easily linger around your teeth and gums, such as sticky sweets, chewy snacks, and gummy treats.
– Studies have shown that chewing dentist-approved sugarless gum for at least twenty minutes after a meal can spur the creation of saliva in your mouth, which has been shown to help fight cavities.
– Schedule visits with our team at Merrill Dental for oral exams and bi-annual professional cleanings.
– For additional oral health care defense, add a water flosser or mouthwash to your oral hygiene routine.
– Eat healthy and nourishing foods and snacks during mealtime, and limit snacking between meals.
Dr. Daniel Merrill and Dr. Stephanie Merrill want to help you keep your mouth healthy and cavity-free. If you would like to schedule an appointment in West Chester, Ohio, please call us at 513-779-7711 to speak with a member of our team. We look forward to hearing from you soon!